DURING THE OUTBREAK OF COVID-19 ALL STUDENT AND VOLUNTEER PLACEMENT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER GUIDANCE IS RECIEVED AND IT IS SAFE TO RESUME.
Reepham Nursery School recognises that qualifications and training make an important contribution to the quality of the care and education provided by early year’s settings. As part of our commitment to quality, we offer placements to students undertaking early year’s qualifications and training. We also offer placements for school pupils on work experience.
We aim to provide for students on placement with us experiences that contribute to the successful completion of their studies and that provide examples of quality practice in early years care and education.
We also welcome Volunteers from the local community, or parents/carers, who may wish to help at nursery on a regular basis.
- We require all students on qualification courses to meet the ‘suitable person’ requirements of Ofsted and have had an enhanced DBS check carried out by their training provider.
- We require all volunteers to meet the OFSTED ‘suitable person’ requirements and to have had an enhanced DBS check carried out. The nursery is not able to fund volunteer’s DBS checks.
- We will require students on long term placements to fill in a short application form and will seek at least one character reference to support their application.
- We require schools placing students under the age of 17 years with the setting to vouch for their good character.
- We supervise students under the age of 17 years at all times and do not allow them to have unsupervised access to children.
- We supervise volunteers at all times and do not allow them to have unsupervised access to children.
- Students undertaking qualification courses who are placed in our setting on a short term basis are not counted in our staffing ratios.
- Trainee staff employed by the setting may be included in the ratios if they are deemed competent.
- Volunteers are never counted in our staffing ratios.
- We take out employers’ liability insurance and public liability insurance, which covers both trainees and voluntary helpers.
- We require all students and volunteers to keep to our confidentiality policy.
- We co-operate with students’ tutors in order to help students to fulfil the requirements of their course of study.
- We provide students and volunteers with a short induction on how our setting is managed, how our sessions are organised and our policies and procedures, particularly in relation to Safeguarding and Child Protection.
- We communicate a positive message to students about the value of qualifications and training.
- We ensure that all trainees and students placed with us are engaged in bona fide early years training, and will ask for confirmation of registration from their training provider to confirm this.
This Policy was adopted at a meeting of: Reepham Nursery School
Held in: October 2018
UPDATED: JUNE 2020 (COVID)
Signed on behalf of the management committee: MARIA AMIES – Chairperson.