At Reepham Nursery School we understand that all children progress and develop at different rates. We also whole heartedly believe that each child is an individual, with different personalities, interests and needs.
This document outlines how we monitor a child’s progress through the EYFS – Early Years Outcomes and how we offer support to children and their families.
Upon entry to nursery:
- We have initial information from parents / carers and our “All about me”
document and a pre-visit with the child.
- On entry to nursery an initial period of observation is undertaken by the key person to gain a picture of the development profile of the whole child
- A Transition Report (if applicable) is also referred to.
Feedback given to parents / carers in the first half-term.
A Settling in meeting
A 2 year check
- In both meetings, the key person meets with the parents / carers to discuss how the child has settled at nursery and where we feel they are developmentally at this stage in the prime areas.
- We discuss next steps for learning and any support, both at nursery and home, that we may feel may be necessary to support progress and development.
INFORMATION WE RECORD AT THIS STAGE:
- ECAT & BASE LINE FROM PRIME AREAS – DEVELOPMENT MATTERS:
Recorded on the tracking document by the child’s Key Person
HOW WE ASSESS ON-GOING PROGRESS: TERMLY FOCUS WEEK, OBSERVATION, ASSESSMENT AND MONITORING CYCLE
- Termly progress is monitored through the Observation / Assessment / Monitoring cycle and the Learning journey and tracking documents are updated.
- Learning journeys are revised and shared with parents / carers.
If the child is eligible for EYPP Funding:
- An intervention plan is co-ordinated by the Key person, SENCO and Manager. Monitoring of the success of the intervention is recorded termly on the intervention plan.
- The child’s progress is still updated by the key person as part of our termly assessment cycle.
If there is a need for a support plan:
- Key person and SENCO collate observations and information
- A support plan is drawn up and all staff are made aware of the plan.
- The plan is shared with the child, parent / carers and a review meeting is arranged.
- An on-going review of the plan occurs during weekly staff meetings.
- The child is involved in the termly key person observation, assessment and monitoring cycle and progress is recorded on the tracking document.
- The revised Learning journey is shared with parents / carers.
THE KEY PERSON AND MANAGER’S ROLE:
- The child’s key person should ensure that the progress and tracking documents are completed at the end of each term.
- The manager should collate a picture of the development and progress of ALL children at nursery and this should be updated termly, from the key person data.
- This will enable the manager and staff to highlight children, or groups of children, that may need intervention of some kind.
(TO BE READ IN CONJUNCTION WITH OUR HOME LEARNING STRATEGY)
This procedure was adopted at a meeting of: Reepham Nursery School
Held in: September 2015
Date to be reviewed: September 2017
Signed on behalf of the management committee: Graham Dunkley – Chairperson.