At Reepham Nursery School, we believe that the health and safety of children is of paramount importance. We make our setting a safe and healthy place for children, parents, staff and volunteers by assessing and minimising the hazards and risks to enable the children to thrive in a healthy and safe environment.
The basis of this policy is risk assessment. Our risk assessment procedures follow the five steps in line with the Pre-school Learning Alliance risk assessment process.
These are as follows:
- Identification of risk: Where is it and what is it?
- Who is at risk: Childcare staff, children, parents, cooks, cleaners etc?
- Assessment as to the level of risk as high, medium, low. This is both the risk of the likelihood of it happening, as well as the possible impact if it did.
- Control measures to reduce/eliminate risk: What we do, or ensure others will do, in order to reduce that risk.
- Monitoring and review: Our risk assessments are reviewed yearly and are amended to reflect any changes to identified risks, existing or new.
- Our risk assessment process covers adults and children and includes:
- Checking for, and noting, hazards and risks indoors and outside, and in our premises and for activities;
- Assessing the level of risk and who might be affected;
- Deciding which areas need attention; and
- Developing an action plan that specifies the action required, the time-scales for action, the person responsible for the action and any funding required.
- We maintain a list of health and safety checks which are carried out daily, before the session begins, by the supervisor.
This Policy was adopted at a meeting of: Reepham Nursery School
Held On: June 2016
Date to be reviewed: June 2019
Signed on behalf of the management committee: Rachael Jones – Chairperson.