At Reepham Nursery School, we believe that children benefit from being taken out of the setting to go on visits or trips which enhance their learning experiences. Reepham Nursery School ensures that there are procedures in place to keep children safe on outings; all staff and volunteers are aware of and follow the procedures below.
- All off site activity has a clearly identified educational purpose with specific learning and development outcomes.
- There is a designated lead for each excursion who is clear about their responsibility as designated lead
- Our manager and all staff taking part in the outing sign off every risk assessment.
- Children with allergies or other specific needs have a separate risk assessment completed
- An excursion will not go ahead if concerns are raised about its viability at any point.
- Parents sign a general consent on registration, for their children to be taken out as a part of the daily activities of the setting.
- This general consent details the outside play area and the field at Stimpsons Piece.
- Parents are always asked to sign specific consent forms before outings and visits.
- Risk assessments for each outing or visit are carried out, prior to the visit.
- All venue risk assessments are made available for parents to see.
- Our adult to child ratio is high, normally one adult to two children, depending on their age, sensibility and type of venue, as well as how it is to be reached.
- Named children are assigned to individual staff to ensure each child is individually supervised, to ensure no child goes astray, and that there is no unauthorised access to children.
- Staff frequently count their designated children and ensure hands are held when on the street and crossing the road.
- Outings are recorded in an outings record book kept in the setting stating:
- The date and time of outing.
- The venue and mode of transport.
- Names of staff assigned to named children.
- Time of return.
- Staff take a mobile phone on outings, and supplies of tissues, wipes, pants etc. as well as a mini first aid pack. The amount of equipment will vary and be consistent with the venue and the number of children, as well as how long they will be out for.
- Staff take a list of children with them, with emergency/ contact numbers of parents/carers.
- We provide children with badges or ‘high viz’ vests to wear that contain the name and setting telephone number – but not the name of the child.
- Staff will also take with them, contact/emergency details of staff members and the Nursery Schools management Committee.
- Records are kept of the vehicles used to transport children, with named drivers and appropriate insurance cover.
- A minimum of two staff should accompany children on outings and a minimum of two should remain behind with the rest of the children.
This Policy was adopted at a meeting of: Reepham Nursery School
Held On: November 2016
Date to be reviewed: November 2019
Signed on behalf of the management committee: Rachael Jones – Chairperson.